Statement of Intent for Music
To provide children with a solid foundation in musical skills and build every child’s love of music through high quality musical experiences both within and outside of schools.
In Music, we teach at least the expectations of the EYFS Framework using Development Matters guidance and the Key Stage 1 & 2 National Curriculum Programmes of Study.
Below you will find an overview of what your child will be expected to learn in each of the Key Stages.
Curriculum design for Music:
In EYFS children learn Music following the Early Education document ‘Musical Development Matters in the Early Years’. This breaks down Music into four key areas: Hearing and listening, vocalising and singing, moving and dancing and exploring and playing.
In KS1 children follow the Music Express programme which comprises composing, performing and playing tuned and untuned instruments.
In KS2 an outside agency plans and implements Music lessons based on National Curriculum objectives.
Curriculum Choices for Music:
- We are supported by Swindon Music service in the following ways: Music Roadshows, CPD for staff, and there are three Music festivals which children have the opportunity to perform in (EYFS, KS1 and KS2)
- Each year group presents a play each year, which involves musical performance
- Musical Development Matters in the Early Years
- Music Express in Key Stage 1
- PPA Cover Ltd Scheme of Work in KS2
- Singing assembly every week
- Choir clubs for infants and juniors