Welcome to Toucan Class!
Who can? Toucan!
We are a class of 25 inquisitive children! Our class teacher is Miss Tilney and our teaching assistant is Mr Sinclair. We have all settled in well to Year 3 and the junior building. We are now becoming independent learners!
Our new class topic is called I am Warrior! We will be learning all about the Romans and we will discover how the Romans invaded Britain.
Tuesday 17th April
This week we are learning about life in Britain before the Roman invasion. Today Toucan class worked in groups to create a non-chronological report about The Celts. The Celts lived during the Iron Age, from about 600 BC to 43 AD. Take a look at our reports, we worked really hard to make them look interesting for the reader.
This term our topic is called Blue Abyss! We will explore the depths of the oceans and discover what creatures are lurking below.
Did you know?
- More than 1500 species of marine fish, 360 types of hard corals, 200 types of birds and 20 types of reptiles inhabit the Great Barrier Reef and even that's not a complete list!
- Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism and is primarily a marine phenomenon. Hundreds of species of fish and invertebrates flash their colours in light shows!
Mr Gulliver brought in some fishy friends to visit Year 3 and 4. We had a wonderful time observing the creatures and even handling a few!
Toucan Class made careful observations of different types of fish and a crustacean.
This term our topic is called Potions! We will become potion designers and mixture makers! We will also discover the properties of different herbs and their uses from past and present. In science, we will be exploring the different states of matter.
Can you explain the difference between a solid, liquid and gas?
What is a potion?
Term 1 and 2
Our first topic of the year is... Road Trip USA! We will be travelling across the United States of America from East to West. We will discover incredible sights and facts along the way! We hope you enjoyed our recent production Railroad USA! We all worked so hard and learnt lots of new facts too!
How many states are there in the USA?
What is New York's nickname?
What is the largest state in the USA?
Which state is also known as the evergreen state?
- Please bring in a piece of fresh fruit or vegetable snack from home for your child to eat at playtime. On Friday your child can bring in a different healthy snack like a cereal bar or small packet of crisps.
- Physical Education (PE) will be on Monday this term. Please ensure your child has a kit in school.
- All children must have a water bottle in school. It will need to be taken home on Friday for cleaning.
- Children are now responsible for changing their own reading book. Please remind your child.
- Spelling homework will be given out every Friday and collected the following Thursday.
- Jigsaw homework is given out termly.
On the 1st Thursday of every month we invite you to come into class until 9.30am and see your child in action!
Homework Activities for Term 5
We hope you enjoy them!
We had a wonderful time sharing our Blue Abyss homework and we had fun playing each others board games!
All children in Year 3 are expected to know the 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 8x and 10x tables! They need to remember them by heart and recall the matching division facts.
What do you notice?
If I know 4 x 4 = 16. Then I know 16 ÷ 4 = 4.
If I know 8 x 4 = 32. Then I know 32 ÷ 4 = 8.
Don't forget to play Times Table Rock Stars. Click here to log on: https://ttrockstars.com/login
Please make sure you are reading at home every day!
Make sure to ask your child questions, predict what might happen next, talk about the characters, discuss the meaning of words and you might even be able to link the story to some of your child's own experiences.
Books should be re-read for pleasure and practise.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” - Dr. Seuss